The Peterstown House is located in Waterloo Illinois. It was built sometime in the early 1800's and was originally used as a general store, tavern, inn and stagecoach stop. This is the only stagecoach stop still intact along the 60-mile Kaskaskia-Cahokia Trail. Over the years additions were added to the original building and it has had a variety of uses. The house was going to be demolished but was purchased by the Peterstown Heritage Society who then restored the house. In 1977, the Peterstown House was place on the National Register of Historic Places. Today a museum, run by the Peterstown Heritage Society, is located in the house featuring exhibits of furniture and artifacts of the mid-1880's. There are also two 100 year old log cabins that have been relocated to the property.
Visit the Peterstown House
Admission is free to the museum, but donations are appreciated. Hours are Saturday and Sunday 1pm to 4pm or by appointment.
275 N Main Street
Waterloo, IL 62298
Peterstown House Related Links:
Photo Gallery for Peterstown House - click thumbnails
The Peterstown House in Waterloo Illinois